Servings 4 people
- 6 Manor Farm chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp test
- 6 rings of pineapple
- 150 g Plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Egg
- 100 ml Milk
- Pinch salt
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 6 rashers of bacon
To make the fritters:
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Whisk in the egg and the milk until a thick batter is achieved. Allow this to rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Dip the pineapple ring into the batter and make sure the ring is well coated.
- Heat a large frying pan with a little oil and panfry the rings on both sides until golden brown and the batter is crisp. (Alternatively, you can use a deep fat fryer ). Drain the pineapple on kitchen paper and keep warm until required.
To cook the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas Mark 4. Whisk the egg and milk together.
- Mix the Cajun spice into the white breadcrumbs.
- Dip the chicken into the plain flour, which you have seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Shake off any excess flour and immerse it fully in the egg wash mixture.
- Drain off the excess and then fully coat the chicken in the Cajun breadcrumb mixture.
- Meanwhile heat a large pan and pan fry the breaded chicken on a low heat for about 3 minutes on either side until it golden brown.
- Place the sealed chicken breast onto a flat baking tray and pop it into the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked right through (use a knife to check-or when the chicken is fully cooked it should feel firm in the centre when pressed and juices will run clear.
- About 10-12 minutes before the chicken is cooked take it out of the oven and lay a rasher of bacon on top of the chicken, place the sealed pineapple fritter on top of that and finish it off with ½ tomato. If desired you can secure the entire combination with a cocktail stick.
- Return the dressed chicken to the oven and continue to cook for a few minutes. Serve the chicken Maryland with side salad and garlic butter.