Traditional Roast Chicken
Servings 4 people
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1.5 kg Manor Farm chicken
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- A small bunch thyme
- Olive oil, to coat
- Wipe the bird inside and out.
- Heat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5. Scatter the vegetables over the base of a roasting tin. Season the inside of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper, then stuff with the lemon halves and thyme.
- Sit the chicken on the vegetables, rub all over with the oil, then season the outside with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and leave, undisturbed, for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- To check if the chicken is cooked, pierce the thickest part of the breast with a skewer and the juices should run clear.
- Allow the chicken to rest on a board for 10 minutes before serving.